Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Retro-Blog 1982 (age 19): I Have Always Been This Way

Hayward California, November 1982

I'm concerned and insecure about things right now
Not simply about comforts and finances
I'm confused about my personal value and worth
About the value of any human and all humans
I'm questioning what the concept of "value" means to me
Because right now I feel very worthless and very small
Very insignificant
And it does not feel good at all
It also does not feel right
And I draw a distinction there
Between subjective good and objective right
Although I cannot be sure that this distinction itself
is not wholly subjective
Once the frame-of-reference has been found questionable
the whole structure falls apart
This is what has happened to me
Why do I feel a need to feel worth and significance?
I doubt that I could even adequately define
what I mean by those words
And what of this need for happiness?
It, too, seems to exist somewhere within reality
Yet beyond definition
My intellect tells me that happiness
or a sense or an attitude of happiness
would only be possible if I were to close off
certain perceptions and avenues of inquiry and reflection
This state would not only be objectionable
But also quite impossible to maintain reliably
As experience has proved
It seems that the centralized “self”
and the homogeneous "all"
are irreconcilably variant concepts
A workable proof to the contrary would be most welcome
I desperately need it, in fact
Thus far, the joyless and inaccurate assertions of psychology
and the abstract and verbose mazery of philosophy
and the hypocrisy and silly self-serving
dervishing metaphysics of religion
have failed to provide anything of substance

[Editorial Note, 2015 (age 52): Among the few things to have changed since this writing is that now feeling worthless and small and insignificant feel "right" or "normal".  I don't know if I am more mature, more broken, or simply more adequately medicated, but I am no longer distressed by the idea that I am not God's gift to the world.  It is, in fact, comforting to know that I need not expect any more of myself.  As a further note to the imaginary reader about these retro-posts: they are not likely to be chronological, although sub-sequences of closely related materials may be.]

No comments:

Post a Comment