Sunday, July 26, 2015

Retro-Blog 1982 (age 19): Random Walk

RANDOM WALK


There's an all-to-familiar strangeness in the air in which the fish are swimming back into the sun. And it's getting far too easy to lose my constant struggle against the current changes in the direction of the flow. Every time I think I'll make it over, it begins to tow me under, but I'm still trying to keep my head above it all.

And all ears are tuned
to the turning of the tables And all eyes are focused
on the faces in the frames.

And nobody knows which way the wind will blow the mountains and the seas cannot answer for what the rocks intend to do about the falling of the skies that are raining down upon the leaves that wilt in unfiltered sunlight reflecting off the tops of houses in which domesticated fur-bearing animals ponder the whistling of the wind through the trees that reach out for nothing they could ever grasp and all the creatures watch and wonder about the reasons for things that were never meant to mean a thing.

[Editorial Note 2015 (age 52): A stream-of-consciousness experiment with mildly interesting results.  The two split lines in the middle, between the opening and closing paragraphs, are a recurring motif which appear in a number of other works and were eventually part of the pre-chorus of a song titled "Modern Man".  I almost removed these lines from this post as it is my general intention to hold back any material which I may intend to eventually develop further, and I do have some small hope of actually recording "Modern Man" at some time.  But they are originally part of this work, and it seems to suffer structurally without them, so they remain.]

No comments:

Post a Comment