Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Retro-Blog 1977 (age 14): Nonsense, a poem in three parts


NONSENSE: A POEM

So He said to The Frog
"What is your name?"
And The Frog Said
"blerb"
with an exclamation point


          NONSENSE: MIDDLE PART

          So He says to me
          He says
          "blerb"
          with a question mark
          And I say to Him
          I say
          "Your existence means nothing to me!"


                    NONSENSE: CONCLUSION
                 
                    So He said to The Frog
                    "What is The Meaning Of Life?"
                    And The Frog died
                    period




[Editorial note 2015 (age 52): This was my first poem.  I have no idea why, at age 14, I became possessed of the conceit that I was a poet, having no knowledge of traditional or contemporary ideas of form, which may be obvious.  Nonetheless, every manual typewriter keystroke was deliberate, including line spacing and use of capitalization.  Many drafts were written and discarded.  I still like this poem.  I miss this early version of myself who had just discovered he could give himself unilateral permission to be creative, and to define what form it would take.  I'm very glad that, unlike most 14-year-old poets, I did not apply my efforts to nauseating love poems and songs.  That would come a few years later. 

By the way, Blogspot is taking random liberties with my line spacing and I am still trying to figure out how to get full control of the formatting.  My old-school HTML skills, in which the most exotic constructs are tables and the concepts of spans or CSS were as yet undreamt, don't help much with the way things are done here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment