Monday, February 24, 2020

Another "Re-Purpoused" Email

This started as what was to be a short email note to my youngest daughter, but it went so far off the rails, I am pasting it here, and cutting the email down to it's original intent.

Here we go:

Reading this over, obsessively and too late to fix anything, my favorite typo is "Hope Depot".  I would definitely shop at "Hope Depot", and have an irrational urge to photo-fake a storefront and try to make some kind of meme-ish thing out of it.  Too lazy to do that, but not too lazy to spend three nights meticulously remastering an extremely obscure David Sylvian track, featuring Robert Fripp (Approaching Silence, 1994), to make it less dominated by white noise, and to make the many layers of other sounds and voices easier to hear, while introducing a minimum of noise-reduction artifacts.  The trick in such cases is to spectrally divide the audio into separate files for each carefully-selected frequency band, and to meticulously edit each file before mixing them all back together again.  I think I did a good job of it, but I don't know who would be pleased by, or even interested in, the result other than myself. This is the kind of thing I do all of the time.  I can't let anybody else's work, if it is of interest to me, stand as-is, as presented.  I always have to mess with it and make it some kind of unintended, by the originator, collaboration with me that interests no-one but me.  When the pain of sitting in this chair was too much, I couldn't do this, and it nearly killed me. Fortunately I can do this stuff again, because I am not sure how I would live if I could not.  I hope there isn't a name for this disorder, other than "obsessive-compulsive disorder' which is way too general, because I want it to be my lonely little corner of the world of madness.  It would be wonderful perhaps to live in a world where such meddling as mine is appreciated by others, but I'm fine in my lonely universe of insanity just so long as I can keep working on these pointless projects.  This has long since passed from a legitimate email into the sort of thing that can only exist as a blog post, so I may cut-and-paste it into my blog as well...

[Hey, my first ever holy shit what did I write last night self-censored blog, let your imagination fill in the blanks, or not. Really not, please.]

Damn, I need to stop drinking.  I need to give that treatment another try so I can reduce my insanity to a more manageable level.  Or not.  Bring on the Electro-Convulsive Therapy, I have nothing left to lose!

No comments:

Post a Comment